Paying It Forward…Blog Awards
A couple of years ago three friends and I decided we would start our own little ‘writers group.’ I think that we all had different reasons for pursuing such a lofty endeavor, though certainly not with the thought of writing the great American novel. It may have been more that we wanted our voices to be heard, even if only by the other three.
The fact that we all get along very well and have similar likes and dislikes, personalities, emotional baggage, etc., has brought us closer with each gathering. For me, the most important aspect of our group is that I have felt more and more comfortable letting my voice speak…something I’ve never, ever had the courage to do before.
In August I started this blog, not knowing where it would go or what I would have to say. I have enjoyed writing my posts and, more importantly, I have really enjoyed reading other blogs and regularly following many of them. They have given me inspiration, more confidence, and some artistic challenges which I hope to post later.
So there I was this past Sunday morning surfing through some of my favorite blogs (in my favorite location, of course…under the covers), and I saw that Linda Ruddy of wingsofwonder.wordpress.com had received some blog awards. I thought it was wonderful because she has such a fantastic and varied blog.
As I was reading I saw that in order to officially show the awards on her site, she had to follow certain steps: give recognition to the sender, share seven random facts about herself, and pass the awards along to five bloggers.
Well, you can’t even imagine my surprise when I read that she listed me as one of her five recipients!! I had to read it a couple of times before it really sank in. So, I thank you, Linda, and am very honored.
So, here we go:
Seven random facts about me:
- I am the oldest of five children.
- When I was a kid I used to think it would be fun to demolish a house (don’t ask…I have no idea where my mind was), and now I live in a 111-year-old house that has been through various stages of mini-demolitions while I try to keep it from dying a slow, painful death.
- At the age of 17 I turned down an invitation to go skinny-dipping…something I’ve always regretted (another don’t ask…’nuff said).
- I was a stay-at-home mom when my boys were growing up, then returned to college and graduated 25 years after I graduated from high school.
- I am 5’ 6 ½ “ tall.
- I love genealogy and gathering and recording all of our family’s oral history to share with the rest of the family.
- At the age of 45, I went white water rafting on the Youghiogheny River…a class IV that day because of heavy rains the day or so before. Wow, it was awesome but scary because I don’t swim very well…but that’s not why I didn’t go skinny-dipping (see #3).
Pass the Award to Five Bloggers:
I find the next step to be the most difficult part of accepting these awards. I’m to narrow my list down to Five bloggers…geez, I had a hard enough time narrowing it down to just ten. So, I will randomly pick from the list of ten…may I have the card please?
Craig Wetzel’s Imaginactory This blog has it all…small town humor, art, music, and, recently, a podcast. What more could we ask for? I feel like I know everyone in the town that he tells us about…and he even offered me a hound named Huck Finn!
A Creative Place To Be by Sue Brown. Sue has a passion for creativity and has put out some very interesting artistic challenges. When I break through my brick wall, I am going to take on her challenges. She is also a psychologist…which certainly might be a help to me at some point.
Sue Healy is a successful writer, tutor and journalist who is very encouraging to other writers and gives wonderful feedback. We can learn a lot from her.
Malavika’s Blog – I find this young woman amazing…so very mature with great Life postings.
….Erin Hill…. is another art blog. Erin describes it as her ‘Art and Travel Journal (or Journey)’, and I find it very inspiring.
Now, so that I don’t break all the rules, get my hands properly smacked or my bum properly kicked, I will temporarily delay mentioning some of the other bloggers that I so thoroughly enjoy. So, please look forward to Passing It Forward Part II coming to the theater (er, I mean, computer screen) near you soon.
Thank you again, wingsofwonder.wordpress.com, for this honor.